Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Comics This Week

Wednesdays mark the day of the week that new comic books are scheduled for release. And for those of you who know me, comic books is first and foremost on my nerd radar. So I'm going to try to keep you appraised of the comics I am looking forward to for the week and why. It won't be a comprehensive list of books I'm reading, but just the ones that truly piques my interest.

On the New 52 side of things:
Deathstroke #2: This series is working to (re)establish Deathstroke in the new universe and due to last issue's very dark ending, I'm interested to see how he continues to carve his niche into a world where the history of the Teen Titans (which he is deeply tied) is sort of up in the air.

Suicide Squad #2: This comic is one of the stand-outs in the reimaginings. I saw the redesigns and thought it looked ridiculous, but the writing is really where this series stands out. You get a new sense of Deadshot and Harley Quinn, and you're introduced to El Diablo. I look forward to their first mission and learning more of the other characters.

Superboy #2: I will start by saying Superboy will always be my favorite character. The best version to me was during Peter David's run on Young Justice. Geoff Johns did some cool stuff during Teen Titans and later in his solo. This new series has taken Superboy back to his roots and I'm curious as to how similar he will be to the animated version on CN's Young Justice because they seem very similar.

And Marvel:
Ultimate Spider-man #3: Miles Morales is an interesting new character. The slow burn of Bendis' writing has me waiting for Miles to put on the costume. In the long term, I can't wait to see what new villains arise and what old villains do in reaction to the return of a Spider-man.

Punisher #4: I have been really enjoying Marvel's Big Shots releases. Punisher has always had an on-and-off relationship with the rest of the Marvel universe. Recently, Franken-Castle was a strange sign of the negative side of that relationship. This new series keeps Frank far enough on the periphery that it makes sense and doesn't come off as too over the top.

X-Men: Regenesis #1: X-Men Schism was an interesting look at the ideals of the X-Men. The X-Men has consistently worked its way toward being a military force, but I always enjoyed when it was a school. Seeing the split between Cyclops and Wolverine reminds me of the classic split of Magneto and Professor X. Watching how this plays out should prove fun.

Although I don't read too much outside of the Big Two, I was surprised to see nothing really stand out from the other publishers.

No comments:

Post a Comment